I’m Kerri, and Vital Veg is my health consulting business. I think of it as a fun set of projects related to food, nutrition, and getting the most out of life. I believe that when we give a little of our attention to our health, we gain a lot of footage toward meaningful, happy living. I’ve experienced this firsthand, and can think of nothing more rewarding than using my hard work and experiences to assist others.
As fun as it is to start feeling healthier, more powerful, and more like oneself, there is also a serious side to my work. Over many years of study, I have learned how science does (or doesn’t) support various lifestyle practices, diets, and medical interventions. I have been shocked and sometimes angry at the difference between the actual science, and the way the media and various institutions have represented it to the public. Because I have a research background, I am a stickler for evidence, and I firmly espouse the principle of Informed Consent: every person has a right to make well-informed, unbiased, autonomous choices about their own health. Tragically, in wealthy nations in current times, people rarely get to do that.
My intention is to support every person’s vitality and autonomy; to help you take control of your own health and your own life! You know what the science shows? The Number One tool for achieving and maintaining lifelong health is daily lifestyle. Eighty-five percent of all illness (and health care cost in the USA) is completely preventable! And, among the elements of a life well lived, the most important, foundational aspect is the food we eat.
Thus, my vision is “Your vitality: through vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, seeds, fungi, lentils, peas, grains, herbs, spices, creativity, movement, the love of food, and of life!”
Vital Veg activities include:
- Private health consultation
- Food for Life classes: evidence-based nutrition and cooking classes, created by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Food Over Medicine: a class about health, disease, healthcare, and why food matters most, based on the book by Pamela Popper and Glen Merzer
- Additional health, nutrition and cooking classes of my own design
- Support programs for those new to healthier / plant-based eating
- Limited personal chef services
All Vital Veg events are based on healthful, whole-foods, real-foods, plant based eating, and are supported by scientific evidence. My approach is compatible with the following researchers and programs:
- Engine 2 Diet and the Health Starts Here campaign at Whole Foods Markets
- Dr. John McDougall (Starch Solution)
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live, Nutritarian)
- Dr. Dean Ornish (Healthways / Reversing Heart Disease)
- Dr. Pam Popper and Chef Del Sroufe (Wellness Forum Health)
- Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn (Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease)
- Forks Over Knives
Vital Veg incorporates the best teachings from many vetted sources. I value critical thinking, an interdisciplinary approach, and a commitment to scientific integrity within health and wellness. My credentials include:
- Registered Nurse in California and Oregon,
- Certified instructor of Physicians’ Committee for Responsible Medicine’s Food for Life nutrition and cooking program,
- Certified instructor of Food Over Medicine, based on the book by Pamela Popper, N.D., PhD.,
- Graduate of Diet and Lifestyle Intervention Course for healthcare providers,
- Member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine,
- Nutrition Educator student at The Wellness Forum Institute.
Vital Veg is based in Portland, Oregon. I have also taught in many locations in California. I love to travel internationally and strive to be a responsible world citizen.